Saturday, August 21, 2010

Piranha 3D

After seeing this last night I pondered as to how I could right a review about this flick free of spoilers. Then I realized that wait, there are no spoilers. The name its self, Piranha, pretty much spells out the whole movie even if you never saw Roger Corman's (rip off of Jaws ) original back in 1978.

So here I go with the recipe that makes Piranha 3D work:
Take a Silly Script, predictable plotline, predictable scenes, Characters we have all seen before, FANTASTIC 3D special effects, Boobs, more boobs, narly looking prehistoric peranha fish with personality, bikini clad girls dancing around in the water, blood, blood and more blood, a film style that reminds you of Miami CSI, a fast paced hip hop music score, add in a splash of corny suspensful tactics, followed by lots of gory special effects, then you add in a pretty strong cast including Elisabeth Shue, Jerry O'Connell, and the grandson of Steve McQueen, Steven R. McQueen. Plus there a couple of other cast surprises I was not expecting.

Anyhoo, you take all of these things and toss them together and you get a movie that works. Piranha 3D was everything I would expect from a movie named Piranha 3D. Blood, gore, boobs, floating body parts, laughter, suspense, a and a scene I will simply dub "The Frenzie".

I tried to count things like dead people, boobs, body parts, but I lost count. Cool Huh?

If you go see this movie expecting a social statement on the evils of teen sex, or an artistic look at the evolution of mans folly, then you are not paying attention. Not even to the title.

I give Piranha 3D 4 out of five free floating boobs.

Oh and a note to the girl who left her guy sitting in the movie because it was "Ewe Gross": You wern't paying attention were you?! And to the guy, Good for you for not leaving with her.

No comments: